ModeliScale project will improve Modelica technology for very large models of energy systems to simulate, in multi-mode. It considers different time and space scales, multiple sources of energy production (classic and alternative), energy transport consumption (buildings, vehicles, storage).
Europe has to face a new paradigm: energy systems become more and more decentralized, involve more actors and consumers with sometimes divergent interests. The progressive insertion of new energy production means with renewables, consumption (vehicles) and storage with new architecture are modifying the architecture of these systems. In order to handle the future energy mix, there is strong need for new modeling and simulation means (ModSim) to design and combine such systems for a better definition and piloting of of their performance.
ModeliScale collaborative R& D project aims to answer these needs.
The challenge and workplan
Today; no Modeling and Simulation langage or tool has the capability to address such barrier (large scale & multi modes). Therefore, innovative concepts are emerging to tackle this challenge.
The Workplan is made of 3 complementary and inter cooperating work packages :
- Industrial Case Studies to define the needs and demonstrate in implemented scenarios;
- Scientific studies to search and bring the source of innovative concepts and algorithms;
- Software prototypes to implement innovation and support the industrials studies
Three main objectives are considered by the consortium
- Compile and execute large scale models
- Handle multi-mode models (to switch from nominal to degraded, re configure according to energy demand (network management, electric vehicle charging) or intermittent production (eg. solar))
- Enable a proper initialization of these models (ensure the initial state is correct)
- CATIA portfolio will be strongly enhanced with these innovations to be ahead in the field of large scale energy systems Modeling and Simulation, including Dymola technology and 3DEXPERIENCE platform systems apps.
- DACCOSIM EDF co simulation platform will get the capability to handle simulation of very large power grids (at the city scale).
- Modelica open language for systems modelling and the FMI open standard for interoperability will benefit from the project innovative enhancements. Enhancement proposals will be proposed to these communities.
- New energy Modelica libraries will be evaluated for a potential ‘goto market’ next phase.
After project perspectives
Project results will be generic. So these will be first useful to the Energy sector; and then to other industrial sectors such as aeronautics, transport, buildings and cities.
- Multi physics, multi scale, multi modes, energy systems, power grid
- Modelica , FMI
- CATIA , Dymola, DACCOSIM
- Leader : Dassault Systemes
- Timeline : [Jan 2018, Jul 2021]
- Effort : 45 Man x Years
- Consortium : Dassault Systemes, EDF, ENGIE, Inria, CEA, DPS, Phimeca, Eurobios
French state supporting the initiative
The project is supported by the French Authorities through financial support of BPIFrance and Region Ile de France in the FUI (Fonds Unique Interministeriel).
ModeliScale project is labelled by the French competitive clusters Systematic and Tenerrdis.
Contact : Patrick CHOMBART, CATIA Brand, Dassault Systemes SE, email@example.com